Product Features and Technical Details
- Durable business-oriented laptop with 13.1-inch scratch-resistant LCD, fingerprint reader, and shock-resistant 320 GB hard drive (7200 RPM)
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 processor (with Centrino 2 technology), 4 GB RAM (max), and dual-layer DVD drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth (with stereo A2DP), Gigabit Ethernet, and Sony Hybrid graphics (switch from Intel GMA 4500MHD to Nvidia GeForce 9300M)
- Connectivity: 2 USB, 1 FireWire, ExpressCard/34 slot, Memory Stick/SD card readers, HDMI A/V out, VGA monitor output
- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Business (SP1); ready for Sprint Broadband WWAN service (subscription required)
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
- Hardware Platform: PC
- Processor: 2.66 GHz Mobile Intel Pentium III Processor
- System Bus Speed: 1066
- Number of Processors: 2
- RAM: 4000 MB
- RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM
- Size: 320 GB
- Manufacturer: Portable
- Type: Serial ATA
Graphics and Display
- Graphics RAM: 256 MB
Ports and Connectivity
- Modem: Fax / modem
Cases and Expandability
- Size (LWH): 8.3 inches, 12.4 inches, 1.3 inches
- Weight: 3.42 pounds
- Rated Charge (normal use): 6 hours
Amazon.com Product Description
Built tough for business, the Sony VAIO VGN-Z670N/B blends easy portability with high-performance computing. Weighing just 3.31 pounds, this Z-series notebook offers a 13.1-inch screen featuring scratch-resistant XBRITE-DuraView LCD and a 320 GB hard drive with Sony's G-Sensor Shock Protection technology (and a 7200 RPM speed). A multi-layer carbon-fiber casing covers the LCD panel and bottom of the chassis to help protect against knocks and bumps, and a seamless aluminum keyboard panel adds structural rigidity to help keep internal components protected. And with up to 9 hours of standard battery life, it has the stamina to power you through your most demanding applications.
The durable, business-ready VAIO Z notebook in black.
It's powered by the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor--with Centrino 2 technology--which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. The 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 includes a quick 1066 MHz front-side bus and 3 MB of L2 cache, providing an optimized, multithreaded architecture for improved multimedia and multitasking performance. This VAIO Z notebook also features Sony's Hybrid Graphics System, which lets you toggle between internal Intel GMA 4500MHD and external NVIDIA GeForce 9300M graphics chips, enabling you to choose lighter battery consumption or better performance depending on the situation.
With the integrated wireless WAN, you can access the national Sprint Mobile Broadband service (subscription required) to extend your wireless coverage beyond LAN access networks and hotspots, giving you the freedom to go farther, do more, and stay connected. Communicate with pals all around with world via VoIP calling and video conferencing using the built-in microphone and Motion Eye camera (with zoom function). Other features include 4 GB of installed RAM (maximum), dual-layer DVD±RW drive (which also burns CDs), quad-mode Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth connectivity (including stereo music streaming), ExpressCard 34 slot, both Memory Stick and SD card readers, and pre-installed Windows Vista Business with SP1 (available XP Pro downgrade on Windows Vista Business only).
This Sony notebook is Energy Star 4.0 certified, and has received a Silver EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, it is RoHS-compliant, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
Sony's VAIO Z-series notebooks take security seriously, employing a biometric fingerprint sensor and proprietary hard disk drive protection software to ensure your data is protected from unauthorized use as well as accidental damage. It also stores passwords to secure web sites you visit, so authentication and access are quick and easy--you only need your fingerprint. It also includes an integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver.1.2 compliant chip that enhances security by allowing you to control access on a specific client/user basis.
* 13.1-inch XBRITE-DuraView LCD screen
* 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 processor
* 320 GB hard drive (7200 RPM)
* 4 GB RAM (maximum)
* Dual-layer DVD±R drive
* Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
* Integrated mobile broadband via Sprint (subscription required)
* Bluetooth with stereo music streaming
* Hybrid Graphics System: Intel GMA 4500MHD & Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS
* Windows Vista Business with SP1 (XP Pro downgrade included)
* Weighs 3.31 pounds
* Processor: Experience improved energy efficiency, expanded wireless connectivity, and amazing battery life with the 45nm Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 processor featuring Intel Centrino 2 technology. This processor has a 2.66 GHz processor speed, super-sized 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and a extra-large 3 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
Formerly codenamed Montevina, Intel Centrino 2 processor technology improves upon every facet of a laptop's main features, including performance and battery life via new processors and chipsets, faster draft 802.11n wireless, and new business-class manageability capabilities. The new hafnium-infused circuitry--which reduces electrical current leakage in transistors--conserves even more energy, giving you more time away from the wall outlet.
The Intel Core 2 Duo processor has two computational execution cores in a single processor, providing greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and it can run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background.
* Hard Drive: The extra large 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (with a fast 7200 RPM speed--usually found in desktops) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
The G-Sensor Shock Protection feature makes your data even less vulnerable to loss or damage. When the built-in 3D acceleration sensor detects a risky movement like being dropped, the HDD-head will lock up to secure its position and protect the disc from scratching. An intelligent algorithm, unique to VAIO PCs, judges whether or not a movement is risky, activating disk drive protection only when your hardware is at risk.
* Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM (PC3-8500, 2 x 2 GB) maximizes the capacity of this notebook, and it also offers a top-of-the-line 1066 MHz speed.
* DVD/CD Drive: The dual-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for DVD-R DL, 8x for both single layer DVD±R, 8x for single layer DVD+RW, 6x for single layer DVD-RW, 5x for DVD-RAM, and 24x/16x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
* Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 82-key keyboard (2mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad.
The VAIO Z focuses in on the details.
Screen, Video & Audio
The 13.1-inch XBRITE-DuraView LCD has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--perfect for added screen real estate as well as watching movies in 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. Sony's DuraView LCD technology utilizes a special hard coating on the LCD to help defend against scratching and general wear and tear. It also has an LED backlight, which provides lower power consumption for improved battery life as well as incredibly high brightness levels that amplify the color display.
This notebook uses Sony's exclusive Hybrid Graphics System, which lets you set your graphics performance with a simple flick of a switch, enabling you to toggle between an internal graphics chip for optimal power consumption with excellent performance or an external graphics chip for even more robust performance. You can choose either the integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (with up to 1300 MB of dynamically allocated video memory) or the installed Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS graphics card (with 256 MB of dedicated RAM and up to 1500 MB of shared video RAM). This notebook provides resolutions to external displays of up to 1920 x 1080 via HDMI and 2048 x 1536 via VGA, and it also has an integrated Intel High Definition audio card.
Enabled by PureVideo HD, the Nvidia GeForce 9300M helps movies come to life with outstanding picture clarity, ultra-smooth video and vivid color. The lifelike images have up to six times the detail of standard DVD movies. Delivering state-of-the-art graphics performance, GeForce 9300M GS graphics card is sure to give you the power and performance you crave to play the hottest DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 titles.
This Intel GMA 4500MHD is built with Intel Clear Video technology, which delivers clearer, more detailed images by eliminating many of the jagged edges and video artifacts seen when viewing interlaced content and features powerful color control to ensure videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Go beyond LAN networks and find the internet virtually anywhere with integrated Wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN) technology via optional Sprint Mobile Broadband EV-DO service (software included, subscription required)--helping you to keep connected without having to hunt for a Wi-Fi coffee shop. Sony's SmartWi technology seamlessly integrates your wireless Wide Area Network (WAN), office/home Wi-Fi LAN, and Bluetooth options, enabling you to toggle among your wireless connectivity options depending on your surroundings.
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN LAN chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). You also get super-fast wired connectivity, with a Gigabit Ethernet port (10/100/1000).
With the Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as enjoy wireless stereo music streaming (thanks to its embedded A2DP profile). This notebook also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (though no PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. Here's the full list of connectivity options:
* 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
* 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
* 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
* Analog video output: 1 VGA
* 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
* Memory Stick/Memory Stick DUO slot (with MagicGate functionality)
* Secure Digital memory card slot (compatible with MMC cards)
* Stereo headphones/speakers/line-out
* 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
* 56K modem (V.90/V.92)
* Port replicator connector
The Windows Vista Business (SP1, 32-bit) operating system is designed to meet the needs of business organizations of all sizes. For small businesses, Windows Vista Business will help keep PCs running smoothly and more securely so you will be less reliant on dedicated IT support. For larger organizations, Windows Vista Business provides dramatic new infrastructure improvements, enabling your IT staff to spend less time focused on the day-to-day maintenance of PCs. An array of sophisticated new backup technologies helps protect your information even in the event of a catastrophic hardware failure. And Windows Vista Business has a new user interface, named Windows Aero, which is designed to deliver new levels of efficiency for any business user. This new interface makes it easy to navigate through the operating system and from application to application. For instance, Windows Aero helps you juggle multiple tasks at once by providing a three-dimensional, real-time, animated view of all your open applications and documents.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare anti-virus and recovery (trial version), Microsoft Works SE 9.0, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day trial), Sony Click to Disk Editor (CD and DVD burning), VAIO Movie Story (video editing), VAIO MusicBox
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 12.4 x 8.3 x 1.3 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 3.42 pounds.
It's powered by the VGP-BPS12 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of between 3 and 6 hours (depending on usage). This laptop is compliant with Energy Star 4.0 specifications, meaning that it uses less power and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by meeting very strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-Z670N/B notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
Built tough for business, the VAIO Z notebook offers the portability of a 3.42 lbs (with standard battery) form factor with the performance of a larger computer. Encased in durable carbon fiber and featuring scratch-resistant XBRITE-DuraView LCD technology, the Z notebook is designed to withstand the rigors of the road. To complement this durability, this mobile workstation is backed by powerful yet efficient Intel Core 2 processor technology and a hybrid graphics system that lets you select your graphics performance on the fly - no reboot necessary. With this one-two punch combo, the Z notebook delivers the long battery life you need to stay productive when on the go.